Saturday, January 11, 2014

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Friday, 11 January 1493

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus
Friday, 11 January 1493


At midnight I departed the Rio de Gracia with a land breeze and sailed to the east as far as a cape that I named Bel Prado, a distance of 12 miles. To the SE from here is a mountain I named Monte de Plata* (Silver Mountain; now known as Pico Isabel de Torres) 24 miles away. About 14 miles* (Another league/mile transposition. The Log entry of 18 leagues (54 NM) is too great; 18 Columbian miles (about 14 NM) is close to the correct value.) from the Cabo de Bel Prado* (Beautiful Meadow Cape; now known as Punta Patilla) to the east by south is a cape I call Cabo del Angel* (Angel Cape; now known as Cabo Macoris). Extending from this cape to the Monte de Plata is a gulf and the best and most lovely lands in the world, all high with beautiful fields. These extend a long distance inland; beyond is a very high and beautiful mountain range, stretching from east to west. At the foot of the mountain there is a very good harbor, 14 fathoms deep at one entrance. Looming above it, the mountain is very high and beautiful. This area is well populated and must contain good rivers and much gold. Twelve miles from the Cabo del Angel to the east by south, there is a point, with I named Cabo del Hierro*(Iron Cape; now known as Punta Cabarete). Twelve miles farther I the same direction is a point I named Punta Seca,*(Dry Point; now known as Cabo de La Roca). 18 miles from there, still in the same direction, is Cabo Redondo*(Round Cape; possibly Cabo Tutinfierno). East of that is Cabo Frances* (French Cape; now known as Cabo Frances Viejo) on the east side of which is a large bay that does not appear to me to have an anchorage. Three miles from there is the Cabo del Buen Tiempo* (Cape of the Good Weather; now known as Cabo Tres Amarrras) and a long three miles from there to the south by east there is a cape I have named Cabo de Tajado* (Cape of the Flaked Rock; now known as Punta La Botella). South of this cape I saw another at a distance of about 45 miles. I made a great distance today because the winds and currents were favorable. I did not dare anchor for fear of the shoals so I beat about all night.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This picture of Punta Cabarete was found on the Internet

No comments:

Post a Comment