Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Tuesday, 15 January 1493 (Part 2 of 4)


Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus (Part 2 of 4)
Tuesday, 15 January 1493

I sent the boat ashore; although the king of this country did not come because his village is a long way off, he did send the crown of gold that he promised, and many other men came with cotton, bread, and ajes, all carrying their bows and arrows. After we had traded everything with the Indians, four young men came to the caravel and gave such a good account of these islands lying to the east on my intended course that I have decided to take them with me to Castile. These Indians have no iron or other metal here that can be seen, although in a few days you cannot learn much about a country because of the difficulty with the language. I can understand it only by intuition, nor did the Indians learn what I was asking in a few days.
--------------------------------------
Columbus called yuca ajes

No comments:

Post a Comment