Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Wednesday, 2 January 1493 (Part 4)

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus
Wednesday, 2 January 1493 (Part 4)

Many times I charged Diego de Arana, Pedro Gutierrez, and Rodrigo de Escobedo to see that everything was well ruled and governed for the service of God and Your Highnesses. I gathered my men together, the ones I was leaving, and addressed them.

First, I charged them to consider the great blessings that God has bestowed upon me and upon all of them up until now, and the benefits he has offered them, for which they must always give Him endless thanks and dedicate themselves to His goodness and mercy, taking care not to offend Him and placing all their hope in Him. They must pray to Him for my return, which, with His aid, I promised them would be as soon as possible - which, I trust to God, would please everyone.

Second, I begged them and charged them and ordered them, on the part of Your Highnesses, to obey their Captain as myself, as I am confident of his merit and loyalty.

Third, they should greatly respect King Guacanagari and his chiefs and principal men, or Nitaino, and other inferior chiefs. And they should avoid as they would death annoying or tormenting the Indians, bearing in mind how much they owe these people, and why it is necessary to keep them content, since they are remaining in Indian land and under Indian dominion. They should strive, by their honest and gentle speech, to gain the good will of the Indians, keeping their friendship and love, so that our relationship with them will be as friendly and pleasant, and more so, when I return.

Fourth, I ordered them and begged them earnestly to do no injury or use any force toward any Indian - man or woman - nor take from them anything against their will. Especially, they should be on guard and avoid doing injury or using violence toward the women, by which they would cause scandal and set a bad example for the Indians, and expose our own infamy, we whom the Indians are certain come from Heaven.

Fifth, I charged them not to scatter themselves or go inland, but to stay together until I return, and most of all, not to leave the land and dominion of that King who loves them so much and has been so good and merciful to them.

Sixth, I encouraged them to suffer their solitude, which is only a little less than exile, although they have willingly chosen it.

Seventh, I charged them that, when they saw it was fitting, to beg the King to send some Indians with them in canoes, and to take the ship’s boat along the coast to see if they could discover the mines of gold, for it seems to me that the gold comes from the east. Also, they should look for a good place to build a village because I am not pleased with this harbor. Further, if they find any gold they can barter for, they should do so, discreetly, so that when I return I shall find a great quantity of it.

Eighth, and last, I promised that I would petition the Sovereigns to grant them special favors, which they truly merit, and which they will see fulfilled when they are rewarded by the Sovereigns and, with the favor of God, by me when I return.


No comments:

Post a Comment