Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Wednesday, 2 January 1493 (Part 5)

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus
Wednesday, 2 January 1493 (Part 5)


The Cacique demonstrated much love for me and great emotion over my departure, especially when he saw that I was ready to embark. A favorite of the King told me that he had ordered a stature of pure gold made as large as me and that at the end of 10 days they were to bring it to me. I embarked, with the intention of departing then, but the wind would not allow me to do so.

------------------------------------
This picture was found on the Internet.  If Columbus were about 5'11" tall and 210 pounds, how much do you think a life-size gold statue of him would be worth today?


No comments:

Post a Comment