Thursday, January 9, 2014

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Wednesday, 9 January 1492 (Part 1)

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus
Wednesday, 9 January 1493 (Part 1 of 2)

At midnight I raised sails with the wind SE and sailed to the ENE. I reached a point I named Punta Roja,* which is exactly east of Monte Cristi some 45 miles. In the shelter of this point I anchored at 3 o’clock in the afternoon. I dared not depart from there at night because of the many reefs. After these reefs are investigated, they will be advantageous, since they all must have openings. The water inside is very deep and forms a secure anchorage against all winds. The land from Monte Cristi to which I am anchored is high and smooth, with attractive fields behind which are beautiful mountains extending from east to west. All these mountains are green and cultivated, and it is a wonderful thing to see their beauty. There are also many rivers.

*Red Point; now known as Punta Cabo Isabela (Picture of hamaka taken at Punta Cabo Isabela present day, was found on the Internet.)


No comments:

Post a Comment