Monday, January 13, 2014

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Monday, 14 January 1493 (Part 1 of 2)

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus (Part 1 of 2)
Monday, 14 January 1493

I could not go ashore last night and search for the houses of the people I believe to be Caribes because the wind blew strongly from the east and NE and the sea was very rough. At daylight we saw many Indians on the shore. I ordered the boat to go to the land with well-armed men, and the Indians all came to the stern of the boat, including the Indian who had come to the caravel yesterday and to whom I had given various articles of trade. Along with this Indian came a king who had given this Indian some beads for the people in the boat, as a sign of security and peace. This king, with three of his people, got into the boat and came to the caravel. I ordered that they be given honey and biscuits to eat, and I gave the king a red cap and beads and a piece of red cloth; to the others I also gave pieces of red cloth. The king promised that tomorrow he would bring a gold mask and said that there was a great deal of gold in Caribe and Matinino. I then sent them ashore well pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment