Monday, December 23, 2013

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Sunday, 23 December 1492 (Part 1)

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus

Sunday, 23 December 1492

Because there was no wind, I did not depart today for the country of the Chief who had sent me an invitation; instead, I sent my secretary and five men to a very large village 9 miles to the east.

At the same time, I sent two of the Indians with me to the villages near the place where we are anchored. Later they returned to the ships with a Chief, and with the news that in this Isla Espanola there is a great quantity of gold and that people from other places come here to buy it. They said that there is as much gold as we desire. Others came who confirmed that there is much gold on the island, and they showed me the manner of obtaining it. I understood all this with great difficulty, but I felt certain that there was a very large amount of gold and that if I found the source I could get it very cheaply, or even for nothing. In the three days that I have been in this harbor I have received good pieces of gold, and I cannot believe that it is brought from another country. May Our Lord, Who has all things in His hands, assist me and give me whatever may be for His service.

No comments:

Post a Comment