Saturday, December 21, 2013

Excerpt from: The Log of Columbus * Friday, 21 December 1492 (Part 2)

Taken from The Log of Columbus

Friday, 21 December 1492

My two men returned and told me they had seen a large village not far from the sea. I ordered them to row ashore as near as they could to where the village was. Soon I saw some Indians approaching the shore, apparently in fear; because of that I ordered the boats stopped and told the Indians with me to speak to them and tell them that no injury would be done to them. The Indians then drew nearer to the shore, and I drew nearer to the land. As soon as they were reassured that we meant them no harm, they came in great numbers, covering the beach and offering a thousand thanks, the men as well as the women and children. Some ran here and other there to bring us some of that bread that they make from niames,* which they call ajes. This bread is very white and good. They also brought us water in gourds and clay pitchers shaped like those of Castile. They brought us all that they had in this world, knowing what I wanted, and they did it so generously and willingly that it was wonderful. It cannot be said that they gave this to us freely only because it was of little value, for they gave us pieces of gold in the same way, as liberally as those who gave us a gourd of water. It is easy to recognize when something is given very willingly and eagerly.

*This was not sweet potato bread, but probably from the yuca.



No comments:

Post a Comment