Friday, December 27, 2013

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Friday, 28 December 1492

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus
Friday, 28 December 1492

I went ashore in order to hasten the construction of the fortress and to put on any final touches. Also, I wanted to establish a chain of command and instructions for those who were to remain. Apparently, the King saw me going to the boat. He entered his house quickly, pretending to ignore m arrival on land, but sent one of his brothers to receive me. He led me to one of the houses that had been given to us, which was one of the largest and best in the village. In this house the Indians had prepared a raised platform made from the inner bark of a palm tree, and here they sat me. Then the brother sent one of his pages to inform the King that I was there, as though the King did not already know it. I realize now that the King was pretending ignorance of all this in order to pay me even more honor. When the page told the Cacique, he came running to me and placed a large plate of gold around my neck, which he had carried in his hands. He stayed there with me until afternoon, considering what was to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment