Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Monday, 31 December 1492

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus
Monday, 31 December 1492

Today I occupied myself with seeing that water and wood were taken aboard in preparation for the departure for Spain, in order to give speedy information to the Sovereigns, so that they may send ships to discover that which remains to be discovered. This enterprise already appears to be so great and of such importance that it is wonderful. I would like to see all the land to the east of here before departing, and to go all along this coast in order to learn its distance from Castile, so as to bring cattle and other things here. But I have only one ship remaining, and it does not appear reasonable to expose myself to the dangers that might occur in making these discoveries. All this trouble and inconvenience has arisen because the Pinta has deserted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment