Thursday, December 26, 2013

Excerpt from: The Log of Christopher Columbus * Wednesday, 26 December 1492 (Part 1)

Taken from The Log of Christopher Columbus (Part 1)
Wednesday, 26 December 1492

Today at sunrise the King of this country came to the Nina, where I was, and almost in tears told me not to be dismayed because he would give me whatever he had. He had already given two very large houses to my men, and he would give us more if we needed them. And yesterday he gave us as many canoes as we needed and the labor to unload the ship, and not even a breadcrumb was taken. They are so loyal and so respectful of the property of others, and this King is even more honest than the others.

While we were talking, another canoe came from some other place and brought some pieces of gold, which the Indians wished to trade for a hawk’s bell, for they valued hawks’ bells above everything else. The canoe had not even reached the Nina’s side when they called out and showed the pieces of gold, saying, “Chuque, chuque,” which means hawks’ bells, which they are crazy about. When they saw the difficulty we were having, these Indians from the other place departed, begging me to keep a hawk’s bell for them until tomorrow. They said that they would bring four pieces of gold as large as the hand. I was pleased to hear this. Then a sailor who had come from land told me that the wonderful pieces of gold my men were trading for in the village were costing practically nothing. For a leather thong the Indians gave pieces of gold worth more than two castellanos, and by the end of the month things should get even better.

The King was delighted to see me happy, and he understood that I desired a great deal of gold. He indicated by signs that he knew where there was a lot of it nearby and that I should be of good cheer, for he would give me as much of it as I desired. He told me all about this gold, specifically, that it is found in Japan, with they call Cibao. The people there have so much of it that they place no value on it at all and will bring it here. Also, the King told me, there is much gold here in the Isla Espanola, which they call Bohio, and in the province of Caribata.

The King dined with me on the Nina and afterwards went ashore with me, where he paid me great honor. Later we had a meal with two or three kinds of ajes, served with shrimp, game, and other foods they have, including their bread; which they call cazabe.* Then the King took me to see some groves of trees near the houses, and fully 1,000 people, all naked, went with us. The king was already wearing a shirt and a pair of gloves which I had given him, and he was more excited about the gloves than anything else that had been given him. By his manner of eating, his decent behavior, and his exceptional cleanliness, he showed himself to be of good birth.

After the meal we remained at the table for some time, and we were brought some herbs with which to rub our hands - I believe they use these to soften the skin. We were also given water for our hands. Later, after we had eaten, the Indians took me to the beach, and I sent for a Turkish bow and a handful of arrows. I had a man from my company who was a skilled archer shoot the arrows. Inasmuch as the King did not know what arms are, since his people neither possess nor use them, the demonstration impressed him very much. This all came about because we had a conversation about the people of Caniba, whom they call Caribes,* who come to seize them and who carry bows and arrows without iron tips. Nowhere in these lands is there knowledge or iron or steel, nor of any other metal except gold and copper, and I have seen very little of the latter. I told the King by signs that the Sovereigns of Castile would order the destruction of the Caribes, commanding the Caribes to be brought before them with their hands tied.






No comments:

Post a Comment