Sunday, December 22, 2013

Excerpt from: The Log of Columbus * Saturday, 22 December 1492 (Part 2)

Taken from The Log of Columbus

Saturday, 22 December 1492 (Part 2)

The Indians in the canoe met the boat from the ship and gave the belt to a boy and came with their canoe alongside the ship. Quite a bit of time was spent trying to communicate with each other, because the Indians with me had difficulty understanding these Indians. There is some difference in the names of things.* Finally, through the use of signs, I understood the invitation they were extending, and I determined to star for the Chief’s village tomorrow, although I am not in the habit of leaving port on Sunday. This is solely on account of devotion and has nothing to do with any superstition whatever. Furthermore, I am striving to please these people and be agreeable to them because the good will they display makes me hope that they will be converted to Christianity. I trust that this will be accomplished by the Sovereigns of Castile because I already consider that they belong to the Sovereigns and that they may serve the Sovereigns with zeal.

*Columbus makes the first reference to a language change. He is approaching the linguistic frontier of Taino, or Island Arawak.


No comments:

Post a Comment